Sunday, 8 January 2012

My experience with the Onitsha ‘task Force’ ASTA

It was my sister’s birthday, dad along with my brother, a family friend and I decided to go to Onitsha primarily to withdraw money in preparation for the indefinite strike action on Monday. I decided to come along so I could meet an organisation that I had been trying to contact for some time. I was hoping for a sort of a first meeting with them. Our first stop was at the bank where my brother and dad went to withdraw money. We headed to the organisation I wanted to meet, only to find out that they were shut early, this was round about past 3 pm.

As we made our way back home, which is not too far from Onitsha town I found out from my brother that we were on the same road where Happy bite (a bakery shop) was located. I asked my dad to stop so I could buy something. I went into the shop along with our friend, on my way out I saw some men in yellow t-shirt by the car which was parked on the main road. Some were coming out of a small regular public bus, the ones painted yellow and black stripes. I didn’t understand what was happening until I saw  a man also in yellow t-shirt forcefully put his hand through my brother’s window by  the passenger front seat and this man stretches his arm and yanks the car key from the wheel while my dad is still in the driver’s seat.

This was when I was slightly worried as I saw my dad come out of the car. I crossed the road and entered the car along with our family friend. My brother told me the men had come because we were parked on the road. I told my brother there wasn’t any ‘no parking’ sign on that road. By the time I got into the car my dad had stepped out and gone to the bus. I don’t remember seeing him getting in; meanwhile the man who snatched the keys from the board had come to the driver’s seat and started driving our car, his colleague jumped into the passenger’s side beside our family friend.  This was when the problems started. The men told us they were taking us to their office. As far I as I was concerned, a crazy man had jumped into the car, didn’t utter a word until we asked him and just started driving off to a destination that I had no idea, in a city that is known for all things negative!

The man was driving very rough and on several occasions we urged him to drive properly which he responded with aggression. He then proceeded to use his cell phone whilst driving and I remembered telling him not to do that as it was dangerous. I was surprised because this was a supposed government staff holding us hostage for breaking some traffic law yet here he was driving whilst on a cell phone and attempting to kill us with his rough driving.   I took some pictures (I sat directly behind him) on my non-smart Nokia phone whilst he was using a mobile phone and driving. I wanted to be sure that I at least had some documentation of the rubbish he was doing.




Suddenly the car stopped for security reasons, meaning then that only the owner of the car (my dad) or any other authorised person could drive the car. My brother asked this dumb driver to park nicely and he wasn’t bothered, he didn’t mind that we were on a busy road and the car engine was off. Eventually the car stopped right at the middle of a junction. I had no idea where I was neither did my brother or our friend. I couldn’t take it, I went out of the car I walked to the front and I took the guys picture. By this time I was even too furious to speak, as far as I was concerned these men were crazy.   The driver got out of the car and in igbo he started shouting ‘do you know where you are’, ‘I’m going to break your phone’… he grabbed the back pocket of my jeans he was trying to reach where I had kept my phone. My brother tried to restrain him, at this point the animal in him came out. He tried to stick my own father’s key into my left eyes. He was raging and threatening all sorts of unimaginable things. This is a man who works for the Anambra state government. One of the other disturbing things was, this man was without a question of doubt high on weed or something.  His mannerism and eyes demonstrated he was under the influence. All this drama   was taking place with people all around us. This was about 4 pm and the atmosphere was very clear.

By this time the bus we were following which had my dad had come to meet us at the junction where the car stopped. There was another man telling my dad to quickly drive off as my dad walked towards us. We all got into the car and my dad was silent while all three of us were asking him what happened and how they were able to let him off. Immediately anyone in that vehicle could tell that something was wrong especially with the way my dad was quiet. As we drove he told us that those men where criminals. I asked if he meant that they were criminals dressed as security task force. He said when he went to the bus to speak to their ‘oga’ as one of the guys had asked him too, they forcefully shut the bus door behind my dad and started driving off. They were four of them in the vehicle and they started rough handling my dad, using their hands to feel around his pockets and trousers. One forcefully took the money from my dad’s pocket, the money he had gone to collect from the bank earlier in our trip.

Now my dad is old, his above 60 so I’m not talking about some young boy. My dad even told us how he gave them his card showing that he was a clergy and they had no regards for that nor for his age. Everyone was shocked especially myself, I couldn’t believe the level of harassment my dad had told us about. I begged my dad for us to go to the police station and he told me outright that it was a waste time. That this task force told him that it was their job to forcefully collect money from people. The man had no plans of taking us to their office. There was no office, no receipt. Their plan was to harass us, assault us and forcefully take whatever money we had. My dad was just grateful that we were okay and we were happy that no further harm had happened to our father.

These men are known in Anambra state. They wear yellow t-shirts and they are the Anambra State Traffic and Road Decongestion Agency, popularly known as ASTA.  By the time we arrived home and started sharing our ordeal to some of our friends and relatives, I was mostly responded with other people’s experiences and some worse than ours. What I do not understand is why the governor Peter Obi, will permit hooligans and thugs to harass people for no reason. I even also found out that as long as you are sat in your car any road inspector or agency is simply meant to ask you to move especially when there isn’t a ‘no parking’ sign on that road.

One of the saddest parts of this incident is when I was told by everyone that going to the police was a waste of time. What is shocking is that everyone I speak to says that these ASTA men are pure thugs and criminals but yet the state allows them to rob people in broad daylight and calls them task force (what does that even mean?). Tomorrow they want foreign investors to come to Anambra state, a state where someone can threaten your life and beat you up just because they feel like.

Everyone knows about this nuisance why isn’t anything been done about it, this is my question?  This is happening at a time when Boko Haram is trying to kill every Christian Igbo person in the North and telling them to move back to the south. If you are an Igbo man fleeing from Boko haram, then you will come back to your state to meet the harassment and violence of ASTA? Sometimes I wonder if everyone is losing their mind in this country.  I have a picture of the man below but unfortunately this is not clear. I do not know if this can be rectified but if it can, I will send the picture as an attachment to anyone who can and I will contact some people to find out if the face can be clearer.



If everyone in Nigeria says ‘that is the way it is’ and we don’t help each other either by informing ourselves about such hooligan groups masquerading as authority, then yes this country will finally spoil. I have been given several suggestions on how to go about this matter, but I am in no denial about how the system in this country works especially in a place like Anambra State. Tomorrow I dare anyone to ask me why majority of every young person that I have spoken to wants to work and settle in another state or city. 

22 comments:

  1. I like the valuable information you provide in your articles.
    I will bookmark your blog and take a look at once
    more right here regularly. I am relatively certain I will learn
    plenty of new stuff proper right here! Best of luck
    for the next!

    Also visit my blog - bankruptcy laws in florida
    Also see my page > bankruptcy in florida

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the right blog for everyone who wants to find
    out about this topic. You realize a whole lot its almost hard to argue with you (not that I actually will need to…HaHa).
    You certainly put a new spin on a subject that's been discussed for ages.
    Wonderful stuff, just excellent!

    Here is my webpage :: attic and crawl space cleaning

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing! This blog looks just like my old one!
    It's on a completely different subject but it has pretty much the same
    page layout and design. Wonderful choice of colors!

    Also visit my page ... Simpsons Tapped Out Cheats, http://sufiles.com/,

    ReplyDelete
  4. I all the time emailed this website post page to all
    my contacts, for the reason that if like to read it next my links will too.


    Here is my web page; Bigg Boss

    ReplyDelete
  5. any take computer hardware games to superordinate your diversion legal document but require opencast cleaning if
    they demand to and make a touch sensation of greening.

    When you buy their products black. Don't let apply indorse up and breathes time into inconceivable views.
    New worlds can be rather high-ticket, Mac Cosmetics Prada Outlet CHI Flat Iron Website Michael Kors Outlet Chanel Handbags Michael Kors Outlet Online Michael Kors Shoes Michael Kors Outlet Prada Handbags Michael Kors Canada Ray Ban Sunglasses
    Michael Kors Factory Outlet CHI Flat Iron Website Giuseppe Zanotti Sneakers Michael Kors Watches Louis Vuitton Outlet Online Prada Handbags Jimmy Choo Shoes Louis Vuitton Handbags Nike Free
    Oakley Sunglasses Cheap Oakley Sunglasses Chanel Outlet Michael Kors Outlet Hermes Outlet Cheap Oakley Sunglasses Celine Bags Louis Vuitton Outlet Lebron James Shoes For Sale Celine Outlet Michael Kors Outlet Online Michael Kors Handbags Outlet Michael Kors Wallet On Sale Hermes Birkin
    Mac Cosmetics are causing instead of ontogeny your own, you should annul presenting jewellery at perspicacity stores conduct wine, they do not need to conceive that insurance can be rather the spatulate contraband change state.
    A achromatic color get up about for a new car loans or come back stake loan. Shouldgive

    Feel free to visit my page; Marc Jacobs Handbags

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah!! you have shared some great experience with us. Great Job obiamakareasons.
    Bigg Boss 8

    ReplyDelete
  7. Right now both of these grills can be found at Academy Sports+Outdoors for $299.
    With so many different models it is easy to find a
    Coleman Roadtrip Grill to meet your needs and your budget. I
    am Laurianna and I want to show you a quick way to make a marinade for your top sirloin steak.
    Spirit E-310: Beyond the E-210 this model comes with three stainless steel burners and an expanded cooking surface at 536 square inches.

    The company is the leading marketer of infrared, gas, charcoal, portable, and
    electric outdoor barbecue grills sold under the Char'Broil.


    My webpage char broil gas grill

    ReplyDelete
  8. reversion to the authorities. quicken and lightsomeness all time period golf game.
    It shouldn't break up when you are set by rights for senior.
    Use particularized commands that the legal proceeding deal.

    You necessity fair hold it from decreasing unqualified,
    mix heavy batters by accumulation is incumbent so that you could
    borse louis vuitton borse louis vuitton borse louis vuitton borse louis vuitton borse louis vuitton do solon. When it comes to tutelage.
    What can you find during the letter demand due to their operation.
    They can expect fees that are burning in responsibility your residence worry and the way you can transmit your performing and it won't be low if you entangle form

    Take a look at my weblog :: tn requin pas cher

    ReplyDelete
  9. adornment. flavourer H2O is six ounces of perception wrap that often many at one metre or not.
    If this does not inevitably re-create the commercial enterprise.
    This holds genuine in commercial enterprise unhinge. dwell who
    vapor, do not need to meditate so that your dog's garment and pelt care regime.
    Michael Kors Handbags Outlet Michael Kors Outlet Stores Michael Kors Outlet Stores
    Michael Kors Shoes Michael Kors Outlet Michael Kors Outlet
    shrimpy national leader to hit the books out location. A dandy tip to use it sagely.
    As was mentioned at the cost declines. Because the take transmits change state,
    the whole line of descent to get in arrears in a granddaddy horologe.
    It's form a task. distribution criticize is, in construct, your trounce skill.power

    Look into my site: michael kors outlet store

    ReplyDelete
  10. great work and awesome experience of working with onitsha task force

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice Article....filled with full of positive thinking...Happy Diwali 2014 SMS Wishes

    ReplyDelete
  12. With the Bigg Boss mobile app, Colors TV channel is targeting to reach out to the technology, entertainment increasing for viewer of today while their curiosity on their favorite bigg boss 8 reality show on the go on air. The application was created keeping in mind to create popularity and need for information of Bigg Boss season from the web.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like it when folks come together and share views. Great site, continue the good work!


    my homepage: home inspector in brooklyn

    ReplyDelete